Pages

instagram

Tuesday 29 July 2014

My Fitness Journey

In the run up to, and during, Summer a majority of people's aims are to loose weight and get toned etc however what about those people who was to gain weight and tone?
I have always been slim - a healthy slim! But to me that still wasn't good enough! I always had quite big thighs and slim wasit and chest so I wanted to even out a little bit. I decided to join the gym - now obviously everyone's reactions were 'you don't need to go to the gym' 'you don't need to lose weight' - urmm yes I'm aware of that I just want to tone up!!!! I didn't listen to what anyone else wanted to say! 
The last time I joined the gym I was doing the totally wrong things and I ended up losing just over half a stone so I stopped going and I thankfully put it all back on and going around the 9 stone mark. Being 5 ft 6 that's a pretty healthy weight but it still wasn't good enough for me. 
First thing I did was eat more high carb foods such as potatoes, pasta and rice. I also ate a lot of meat, chicken and fish. I would usually eat about 4 meals a day and after a couple of months I seen a change I was starting to fill out a bit so then I thought - it's time!
I joined a gym £14 a month not too bad I didn't do much cardio however I did always start off on a bike/treadmill/cross trainer for 10 mins or so just to get the heart racing and some energy. These would also help tone my legs and bum especially the bike and cross trainer, when I went on the treadmill I always put it so it was like I was walking up a steep hill. 
Next I moved onto doing some abs, I would usually just do as many crunches as possible and also lie on my back knees up and pretend your pedalling - these would definitely help and also they're easy to do at home! After doing abs for around 20 mins I would move onto legs doing leg press on around 30kg and other leg weights where you have to push and pull the bar with your calves working you thighs and bum! 
Finally I would move onto back and biceps or chest and triceps mainly focusing on arm strengh though! I would use the gym machines for this (not sure what they're called!) just remember any weight you pull towards you is back and biceps, any weight you push away from you is chest and triceps! Best way of remebering!
I also got a small dumbell stand for at home so that I can do simple bicep and tricep weights in my spare time. I also tended to look on YouTube to see any short fitness work outs, as I found out people with a fast metabolism tend to only need a short amount of time working out eg 30mins or so! 
I didn't use any tablets/shakes/supplements to gain any weight or strength but I have put another half a stone on meaning I'm around 9 and a half stone which I think is a great achievement for me! My arms were my biggest worry as they used to be quite thin that's what gave people the impression I was so slim but now they've beefed out and I've built up some good strength which I'm super proud of!
All it takes is a bit of time and motivation and you'll definitely get there!
Below you'll see a couple of before and after photos- good luck and comment below for any more info! 


No comments:

Post a Comment